Saturday, February 9, 2008

Elena turns 3!!

Happy Birthday Elena!! It was a very exciting day - as Elena, for the first time, understood what it truly meant to have a birthday. And in her world, what that meant, was gum. (We've taken a break from gum, because it usually ends up being swallowed or on the floor of the car). So the first words out of Elena's mouth in the morning were "I'm 3 now! Can I have some gum?" Of course, she did. And she chewed it for about 4 hours straight.

The day was not as we originally anticipated. Emma had her spelling bee, so Elena was going to go to daycare for the day while Ross and I watched the bee. We made some cupcakes together (from scratch, might I add) to take to daycare, and Elena was really excited about everyone there singing to her. But the night before her birthday, Elena got a fever. So plans had to change. Ross now had to stay home with Elena and I took Emma to the spelling bee. However, we decided to take the cupcakes to Emma's school - and the k-2 graders joined in to sing to Elena. It was very sweet. The office staff, including the principal, also sang to Elena. If definitely made up for the change in plans. And Elena wasn't so sick that she couldn't enjoy her day.

After the spelling bee, we took the girls out to Carl's Junior (which Emma has now nicknamed "heaven"). Then we went to Art N Soul in Tacoma and painted some pottery. Elena just splashed water and paint around, but I managed to get a good hand print on a plate that I painted. After that, we had a little ice cream at Cold Stone. Overall, it turned out to be a great day!

No comments: