Friday, October 26, 2007

A Praise God moment!

After 2 episodes of poop smeared all over a pack-n-play (oh yes, in protest to the zip-ties we used to keep the cage intact) - I had had it. I got on my knees and said "Lord - you promised to be my counselor. And I have a hard time believing that definition is limited! I know you are the supreme counselor of all poop disasters. Please grant me wisdom. I cannot parent this child alone!" That same day, as I as driving, a thought came into my mind out of left field (The Holy Spirit seems to enjoy that approach, huh?). I heard "Elena keeps asking for books because she needs a routine before bed." I must admit, I have been so rushed to get Elena down (because it takes her 1 1/2 hours to fall asleep sometimes) that I have been avoiding the books. So yesterday and today, I decided to give it a try. She picked the same 2 books she always picks at night (Barbie - My First Day of Preschool, and Mouse Paint). And both days, she fell asleep within 5 minutes. Yesterday, she slept 3 hours before I had to wake her up (I had to leave Emma in after school care - but heck, I got a lot done!) and today it is 4 (Emma has an after-school movie) and she's still asleep! (It's been 2 1/2 hours so far). I am so thankful to God for his compassion. He cares about our poop! I hope this is just the beginning of a lifetime of excellent naps for my darling Elena.

3 comments:

Barbie said...

YOU CRACK ME UP! Aubrey is not a fan of naps either...it's ALWAYS a fight and reading your blog makes me feel normal. (I mean Aubrey has never smeared poop, but she's still young ;) ) My nephew used to be a struggle to put down too, but then my sister started the book routine and the little guy is the EASIEST kid to put down for a nap. Sometimes we just have to listen to the Lord and not all the other "crap" (Pun intended)

Holly and Stephen said...

Man, Stephen and I must have it pretty easy. Ross goes down with no problem. Maybe a little cry sometimes but when he's down he'll sometimes be out for 3 or more hours. Of course we haven't hit the toddler age yet, and Preston is too young to have to worry about naps. I'm sure my hands will be full soon. I do hope storytime will work out. I know they always say kids like repitition. Let's pray this works for you.

Shannon said...

Praise God for some well-deserved peace!